Photos, Trips and Things!

Morning Blaze

HDR

June 16, 2012  •  1 Comment

I have had a lot of people asking me about the photos recently. They have been asking how I get the wide range of colors in the photos so I figured I would let the secret out. Most of my photos are HDR (High Dynamic Range). The way they are created is that they are actually multiple photos that are combined to make a single photo. The way they are created is several exposures of the same composition are combined to create the final image. The way you create it is by taking an exposure to properly expose the shadows, one for the mid tones and finally one for the highlights. After you get the proper number of exposures to cover the scene you combine them with software. Here are the original photos exposed for the midtones, highlights and shadows and then an HDR photo. In the HDR photo you can see how the HDR photo has more detail in the highlights and shadows. 

 

 

 

 

Here is the HDR with the multiple exposures combined.

 


Acrylic Mounting

April 25, 2012  •  Leave a Comment

For a while now I have been doing some test prints on different types of paper and media to try and find something that was a little different. I had gotten sample packs from every paper manufacturer out there. I would sit up until 3 am printing the same photo over and over on every different type of medium possible. Everything looked the same, nothing really had that "POP." I had heard about face mounting to acrylic but i had never really looked into it. I found a company that did face mounting and gave them a call. They told me what it would cost to have a photo mounted and shipped and I almost fell out of the chair. That is when i decided to learn how to do it myself. So i got on ebay and found a cold press roller. I was all excited to figure this out and start mounting to acrylic. I got the roller in and that’s when the problems started. I set it up and went to practice on the first photo, stepped on the pedal and nothing. Well dammit, now it was time to play mechanic on the roller machine. I sat there with a multi meter trying to figure out what was wrong with it. After an hour on the phone with the manufacturer we finally figured it out. So a week later i got the replacement parts. Now that the roller was working it was time to start practicing. I did a couple small test one and got it figured out. Now it was time to go BIG. I figured bigger was better, well bigger is also a lot harder. With the small ones i could just score and break the acrylic. On the big ones i had to cut it with a saw. Well the saw leaves little chips on the acrylic. So i had to figure out a different way to cut it. Also attaching the adhesive to the acrylic did go quite as planned. The photo would always get bunched up and get a crease in it. So i had to figure out how to fix that. After getting that figured out i finally got a big one mounted to the acrylic. Then I tried to hang it and it turned into an over sized boomerang. So I had to put some braces on the back of it to support the weight of the acrylic. I finally got it all figured out. A picture may be worth a thousand words but seeing is believing … so come out to one of my shows and see for yourself. If you see one you like and want mounted.. tell me now .. I’m on a roll! 

 

 


Subscribe
RSS
Recent Posts
HDR Acrylic Mounting
Keywords
Archive
January February March April (1) May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December